Wednesday 12 May 2010

"Filigree and Echo" (SOLD)

I've been trying something new this week and have been startled by the effect of the subconscious mind on my art. I spent some time in the hospital last week with my youngest daughter whilst she had an ultrasound on her heart. Obviously an emotional thing. Then, once in my studio, I found myself making an intricate heart shaped linocut.

I then began playing with drawing inks and what was incredible was the marks that were appearing on the pages. As I let the two different coloured inks run over the page, they began to mimic the shapes of the chambers I had been scrutinising on the ultrasound screen.

(Added 2nd September 2010 ~ I just sold this piece of work to a young couple from New Zealand,
they particularly liked the tight curls which reminded them of Maori tattoos ~ LOVE IT!)

3 comments:

  1. Great print, the filigree effect contrasted against the red printing works really well.

    Hope that all is well with your little girl.
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness Mel. Hope all is ok with your daughter. A very worrying and stressful time. Hope working on your art helps you to cope xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's fine, thanks, we'd been waiting a long time for the ultrasound, almost six months, but the results came back showing she had a healthy heart, thank goodness. It was a worry that we have lived with a while and it feels so good to be able to put it behind us at last. I love the way art helps us deal with emotions. Where would we be without it!

    ReplyDelete